top of page

Curious about Small-Business Taxes

How do I resolve a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding my small business taxes?

Curious about Small-Business Taxes

If you have a dispute with the IRS regarding your small business taxes, there are several steps you can take to resolve the issue:

1. Contact the IRS: The first step is to contact the IRS and try to resolve the issue. You can call the IRS at the number provided on the notice you received, or visit a local IRS office. Be prepared to provide documentation to support your case.

2. Request mediation: If you are unable to resolve the issue with the IRS directly, you may be able to request mediation through the IRS's Office of Appeals. This is an independent organization within the IRS that can help you resolve your dispute without going to court.

3. File a formal protest: If mediation does not work, you can file a formal protest with the IRS. This is a written statement that outlines your disagreement with the IRS's decision and the basis for your position.

4. File a lawsuit: If you are unable to resolve the issue through the above steps, you may need to file a lawsuit in Tax Court.

It is important to note that disputes with the IRS can be complex and timeconsuming, so it is often a good idea to seek the assistance of a tax professional or attorney.

bottom of page